This is one of my favourite chocolate cake recipes, it is really moist and it is also dairy free! The first time ever I made it was together with my grandmother. The recipe is from her recipe collection and I think the original recipe was published in the Huisgenoot. Rooibos tea is a proudly South African product.,it is caffeine free and high in antioxidants, if you can’t find it in your country you should be able to substitute it for your favourite tea, that is to say if the flavour will go with chocolate, so use your own discretion.
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1 rooibos tea bag
- 125 ml cocoa powder
- 4 extra large eggs, separated
- 300 ml sugar
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 450 ml cake flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- Pour the boiling water over the tea bag and steep for 20 minutes, mix with cocoa powder until it’s a paste.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until creamy, add the oil and vanilla, mix well.
- Add the cocoa mixture and mix well.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt together, mix in with the cocoa mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, fold into the batter
Bake at 180°C for 40 minutes
You can decorate the cake with any frosting you like, if you are allergic to dairy you can use any dairy free cake frosting or topping. I usually make butter cream and then I put grated chocolate or flake over.