During natrional obesity week (15-19 October) I followed the Hill’s pet slimmer of the year on facebook and this had me looking at my own Jackrussel. She gained a lot of weight (for her size) since we got her spayed just over 2 years ago. Most pet owners doesn’t realize that their pets are overweight or obese and this made me think it’s better to do something about her weight before it gets out of control.
I reached out to Hill’s Pet Nutrition and they are kindly sponsoring Meisie on her journey to a healthier weight with their metabolic food. As most of you know I am on a healthy eating plan as well so I thought it will be fun to slim down with my best 4 legged friend!
This is what Meisie looked like before we got her spayed and what she looks like now
South African vets say more than half the patients they treat are overweight. For a professional, objective opinion find a participating Hill’s Pet Slimmer practice on www.PetSlimmer.co.za and book a weight assessment (which are often offered free of charge – check with your practice).
- Obesity is the number one health problem faced by pets today.
- South African vets say that more than 50% of pets they treat are overweight or obese.
- 68% of pet owners do not follow guidelines when deciding on portion size.
- Excess weight in pets can decrease life expectancy by up to 2 ½ years.
- 30% of pet owners never check their pet’s weight.
- 92% of pet owners with overweight pets do not see obesity as a life-threatening risk.
- 9 out of 10 owners of overweight pets mistakenly identify their pet’s weight as normal.
- For a 10kg dog 100g of boerewors is equivalent to you eating 22 mini koeksisters.
The Hill’s PetSlimmer was announced on the 1st of November just look at these super models. Dexter lost an amazing 2.6kg, you can read his story here and see some before and after shots as well: Dachies Dexter’s Dieting Success
Hills is letting me give away 4 Hill’s hampers to help you get your overweight pet started on a journey to a healthier weight. Win a Hill’s hamper for your overweight pet valued at over R300. Feel free to share pictures of your fur babes on my facebook wall or tweet me! Don’t forget to tag Hill’s Pet Nutrition too.
• 1 x Hill’s Prescription Diet Feline Metabolic 1.5kg (R195) • 1 x Hill’s cat tunnel (R150)
• 1 x Hill’s Prescription Diet Canine Metabolic 4kg food (R399) • 1 x Hill’s ball launcher (R70)